What better way is there to stand up for the children and youth you serve than to be a part of the biggest special education and early intervention advocacy event on Capitol Hill?
On Tuesday, July 9, we’ll show decision makers in Washington how investing in special education and early intervention pays off in successful children and youth who are college- and career-ready and who can make important contributions to their communities.
The resources described below will give you everything you need to get ready to go to Capitol Hill–from scheduling meetings, getting around the Hill, making the most of your time, and following up with your legislators.
Participant Informational Emails
- How to Set Up Congressional Appointments and Other FAQs – May 29, 2019
- Sign up for These Important SELS Preparation Webinars – June 17, 2019
- 10 Steps to Take Before You Arrive at the 2019 Special Education Legislative Summit – June 25, 2019
- Know Before You Go: 2019 Special Education Legislative Summit Attendee Information – July 2, 2019
Weekly 30-minute webinars for all participants will be offered to provide helpful updates on SELS and technical assistance to individuals and teams as they set up their congressional visits. You MUST REGISTER for each of the four webinars separately.
- Archived Webinar #1: Setting Up Congressional Meetings
- Archived Webinar #2: Issue Briefs and Telling Your Hill Stories
- Archived Webinar #3: Conducting Successful Congressional Meetings
- Archived Webinar #4: Special Education Legislative Summit Logistics
Setting Up Congressional Meetings
- State Team Leader List
- Requesting a Congressional Meeting
- Congressional Appointment Google Doc Directions
- Congressional Appointments Google Doc Spreadsheet
- Education Appropriations
- Individuals With Disabilities Education Act (IDEA) Informational Brief
- IDEA Investments for Young Children
- Keep Public Funds in Public Education
- Mental Health: Building Positive Climates for Learning
- Shortages of Special Education Teachers and Early Intervention Providers
Power Point Presentations
- SELS Overview and Your State Teams – Maguire and Lesh
- Gallup Poll – Pruitt
- First Five Years Fund Poll – Walsh
- “Advocating for Special Education and Early Intervention: What a ‘Capitol’ IDEA!” – Mandlawitz
- Introducing Legislative Recommendations – Rubenstein
- Visiting With Your Legislators – Ziegler
- Other Policy Issues Congressional Members May Raise During Hill Visits – Ziegler
- Transition Slide Show – CEC and CASE
- Education Appropriations – Giesecke
- Education Appropriations – Ziegler
- Keep Public Funds in Public Education – Garrett
- Keep Public Funds in Public Education – Rubenstein
- Mental Health: Building Positive Climates for Learning – Skalski
- Mental Health: Building Positive Climates for Learning – Mandlawitz
- IDEA Investments in Early Childhood – Cole and Walsh (Combined)
- Shortages of Special Education Teachers and Early Intervention Providers – Sindelar
- Shortages of Special Education Teachers and Early Intervention Providers – West
- Advocacy 365 – Ziegler and Garvey
- Advocacy 365 – Bailey
Tips for Successful Congressional Meetings
- Conducting an Effective Congressional Meeting
- Creating a Data Driven Story
- Sample Data Form
- Let’s Practice
- State Team Capitol Hill Planning
Getting Around Capitol Hill
- Washington, D.C. Metro map
- Capitol Hill map
- Accessibility on Capitol Hill
- U.S. Capitol Visitor Center Apps
*Ticket sales are now closed.
*Ticket sales are now closed.
- Three Ways to Follow Up a Congressional Meeting
- Draft Thank You Letter
- Capitol Hill Debriefing Form – Download or Online
Social Media, Press Release and Photos
- 2019 Twitter Handles – U.S. Senate and the House of Representatives
- Sample Tweets to Use During the Special Education Legislative Summit
- Share your SELS Experience with us. Upload your photos on the SELS 2019 Shutterfly website. To upload photos, please request to become a member of the group site.
- Spread the word! Personalize a Special Education Legislative Summit press release template – Coming soon!
- Participant Press Release Template
Continue to check this site:
More documents and links may be posted as the summit date approaches!